Toxins & Vomiting - VetPet Box

Education Library

Emergencies

Toxins & Vomiting
  • Toxin ingestion:
    • Did you know that after a pet has ingested a toxin, veterinarians have only a short window of time in which they can induce vomiting?
      • Once the toxin starts to be absorbed into the bloodstream and after it moves from the stomach to the intestines (where it cannot be vomited from), it can be dangerous to attempt to make an animal vomit
    • Did you know that not every toxic substance should be vomited up?
      • With some products, such as corrosives, vomiting can cause even more problems and complications!
    • In addition, some toxins require that a pet be immediately administered IV fluids (often, for several days) to dilute the bloodstream in an attempt to spare the organs from damage.
    • It is ALWAYS best to call a vet for advice after you discover your pet has ingested a potentially toxic substance
    • You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-764-7661) and/or ASPCA's Poison Control (888-426-4435) for assistance in determining whether your pet may be in danger. These services are intended to aid you and your vet... not to substitute for immediate veterinary care!
    • Visit our Toxins Page to learn more about what may be toxic to your pet.
  • Inducing Vomiting:
    • NEVER ATTEMPT TO INDUCE VOMITING IN A CAT!
    • ALWAYS CALL YOUR VET PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING TO INDUCE VOMITING IN YOUR OWN DOG!
      • After you've spoken with your veterinarian and you have learned whether it is safe to induce vomiting, you may want to use the kit provided in your VetPet Box.
      • Make sure you read the instructions prior to use!
      • Click here to see a video by Innovet to aid in use of the kit